FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Am I entitled to compensation? [merged]
View Single Post
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:54 pm
HighgateFlyer

Have a question regarding a cancelled Austrian flight, originally was booked from VIE -> YYZ OS71 via Aeroplan miles on November 4, 2018. I initially found out about the cancellation when I tried to check in about 18 hours before, was given an error message saying OLCI was not opened and saw the booking was updated to reflect a departure on Nov. 5, 2018 now instead. When I called to inquire what happened, both Austrian and Aeroplan claimed that the flight was cancelled months ago, and the booking was changed to reflect that (and claim I was notified).

I've scoured my emails, from both aeroplan and austrian, and have no record of it all being sent to me. I monitor my emails quite well so something like this I don't feel i would have missed, and after inspection seems that I did not miss it. I'm on aeroplans emails as I get there booking and advertisements all the time. For Austrians part, they for sure have my email in their system as I made a seat reservation over the phone and sent myself the itinerary on their website to my email, so they do have it. I will be trying to claim EU 261 compensation on the fact that while it was not cancelled within the two week period, I am claiming as no advance notice was given by the airline to myself in writing to my email, which they had. I have no doubt they will claim they did and deny, so would then seek to have it addressed by the austrian regulator, asking that they furnish some kind of electronic record it was sent. Am I crazy and is this a lost cause? Thanks in advance for any input.

**As a relevant side note, emailed them later requesting a confirmation of cancellation for travel insurance purposes, received this response:

Thank you for your email.

This is hereby to confirm that flight OS71 from Vienna to Toronto on November 4, 2018 was cancelled due to operational reasons or airline responsibility.

We hope that this will suffice for whatever legal purpose it may serve.

Sincerely,