FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - British Airways told 'do better' as maternity pay policy emerges
Old Feb 8, 2019, 6:25 am
omk298

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
BA, or any other company, don't have an extra pot of cash in reserve to spring out and pay for a year's full pay parental leave for everyone. The total pay (or total cost of employment) for anyone is going to be pay plus benefits - if you increase the cost of the benefits then the pay will go down, all else being equal.
And there is a wide choice of airlines to work for - if BA's pay and conditions aren't good enough to attract pilots or any other staff (or attract those of a sufficient standard) then they'll have to increase the offer. If, as seems to be the case, they've got enough then they don't need to, even if some people think their current offer isn't sufficiently modern.

I would have thought it better to be paying people more when they're working and less when they're not, within the limits of the law and bearing in mind the need to recruit staff as above. That probably does make me a dinosaur, but I'm not so sure it does make me wrong, or an idiot.

I might be wrong, but I think you work for BA - have you left/are you leaving because of this outrage and moving to one of the much better employers mentioned in this thread?

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Feb 8, 2019 at 3:12 pm Reason: Remove quote and response from deleted post