FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - British Airways told 'do better' as maternity pay policy emerges
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:53 am
dodgeflyer

Bit surprised at the somewhat Neolithic attitudes here but don’t know why I am surprised.

A few facts: society benefits from birth so, yes, even if you choose not to have children it is in your interest that others do. Look no further than Japan and China to see where we’re heading. Wealth decreases when fewer are born as result of increased costs (healthcare et al). Pretty basic macroeconomics.

Companies that have better gender balances are largely equal or better performers and diversity in all forms is proven to be economically enhancing. I’m worried people think men should be in a cockpit and women can go elsewhere. Such single-minded attitudes is the last id want to be in the hands of in an emergency.

I do think scandinavia has gone too far (said as a scandi) and that the correct parental leave is somewhere in the middle. In my ideal scenario parents get 6-8 months with ca 40% for the man as a minimum up to 60% and if below 40% parental leave is forfeited.