FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DOT starts new proceeding for added HND slots
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:05 pm
BenA

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WidgetTravels
While you can (rightly) argue that Delta played games with the Seattle authority, it did technically follow the rules the DOT had in place.

So where's the mockery? That they asked and got permission to use smaller aircraft and move the authority? That they complied with DOT rules, including when the DOT (again, rightly) imposed new rules after AA's objection?
I think the mockery is referring to operating the flight exactly eleven times during the entire winter. Technically within the minimums, but the DOT took a dim view of that. They then required Delta to obtain prior DOT approval before canceling more than 2 flights all year (which might have even included mechanical or weather cancellation); that triggered Delta eventually giving up entirely and returning the authority to the DOT.

I think it’s fair to say that someone complying with the letter but not the spirit of an allocation of a rare resource is making a mockery of the process, and I think the way the resulting regulatory process played out was a fair resolution. I also think it was a key factor in the DOT denying Delta’s request for slot flexibility in this round of allocations...