FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:13 pm
estnet

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
yes, I used hangouts to make calls to the USA, but not with fi, and I was likely at the SGS on wifi. My SIM was either t-mobile or true-h.

I think the supposition is that it's somehow being blocked by fi, but that's just a guess. No idea why they would do that. I don't know what other people have experienced.

I can understand why carriers might try to block VOIP ports (they want the call revenue), but it's hard to understand why fi would do it. Maybe it's the carrier they use?

-David
It actually is buried somewhere on the website with an asterisk saying hangouts is blocked in Thailand - their support blames it on the country but this clearly NOT the case!
Exactly - hangouts with a fi sim was blocked on my phone - but strangely it was ALSO blocked on my computer using condo wifi (maybe b/c I was using chrome and therefor was signed into my google account which knows I have fi?)???? Not sure how google blocked it on my computer - but it did - no problem with skype thankfully (altho one can't call AA on skype - but luckily I didn't need to call them this time)

Last edited by estnet; Feb 6, 2019 at 11:23 pm