FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wild speculation on UA's new strategy for Polaris, Upgrades and Award Space
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:00 pm
trmbn65

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Darlox
1) UA is no longer trying to compete (or even match) Business Class fares from most cities, at least to Asia. I have upcoming travel in late-winter & spring to TPE and SIN (separate trips). The former is on BR. The latter is on AC+SQ. For any dates within 2 weeks of either trip, UA is consistently $600-$2000 more expensive than other *A partners, and that's even in cases where UA is a connection and the other airline is nonstop. That also includes options on NH, which is in a JV partnership with UA for TPAC... My travel patterns this time of year have been relatively consistent for the last 3-4 years, and this is the first time in that timeframe where UA wasn't either price-matched or cheaper than the alternatives.
I frequently fly to Europe for work as I work for a large corporation. Depending on the situation, I can attest to pricing not really mattering for Polaris seating. I've seen others book this and had this booked for me multiple times, even though *A partners may be cheaper.