FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AS (and VX) Moved to T7 at JFK; New Alaska Lounge (April, 2018)
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:53 pm
eponymous_coward
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by bkojote
There's a few ways I see this panning out:

1- Alaska moves in with JetBlue at T5/6/7
+ JetBlue is going to have the most gate space available with the new terminal, and it's clear other airlines are going to relocate there (Emirates, Icelandair, possibly Qatar.) Alaska will have access to its non-alliance partners.
- Alaska and JetBlue hate each other, and I'm pretty sure JetBlue would like to prioritize its partners rather than have a competitor who flies only the same routes squatting in its terminal, let alone opening a lounge there.

2- Alaska moves in to the new T1
+ No direct animosity with any of the airlines currently operating, and this terminal is going to be massively expanded.
- Alaska has almost no partners at this terminal aside from JAL and Korean Air. Additionally this terminal will be built primarily for international traffic with a lot of widebody gates.

3- Alaska moves in to T4
+ They'll have some space once Emirates, etc. leave for T5/6/7
- Delta already kicked them out of T4, and I'm sure with their flights relocating from T2 they'd rather use the gates for themselves.

4- Alaska squeezes in to T8
+ They'll have access to most of their partners as well as AA. No need to build a new Alaska lounge.
- If AA didn't have room for them in 2017 they sure won't have room for them now.
I'd say T1 because very, very few people are doing AS on a transcon->Partner TATL or (lol) TPAC except for the usual FT "I'm insane because I want extra time in the metal tube" crowd (maybe some award tickets might route you through JFK). I would bet the vast majority of AS partner feed is connecting to a partner at SEA/LAX/SFO... and if any, the connecting feed to JFK is probably going to be primarily to AA (so being in a different terminal isn't a huge deal since that's already the case) or BA (which is a mild loss compared to a T7 colocation, but whatevs, all things pass, and I also don't see AA being willing to share space- and BA probably has the MOST AS connectivity outside of JFK of any AS partner: SEA/LAX/SFO/SJC/SAN/AUS/ORD/BNA/EWR/IAD/YYC/YVR/DEN/DFW/ATL/CHS, so is it REALLY a big deal for them to be in different terminals at JFK? Probably not).

Since T1 is going to get some random international carriers (I guess) I don't see why they wouldn't get AS too.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Feb 6, 2019 at 3:00 pm