FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Free check in bag if I fly Alaskan but used AA points to book?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:35 pm
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by shanna135
Plan on using AA points to book a trip and pay taxes with Aviator Red card to get free check in bag. If they change and have me fly on Alaskan with I still get the free check in bag? Thanks
I’m pretty unclear on your question.

I’ll assume you meet the Aviator requirements to check a free bag on a domestic flight.

Did you use AA miles for an AAdvantage award on Alaska? You’ll likely pay whatever Alaska’s fee might be given AS is the operating airline. Of course, check your ticket for the allowed baggage information.

Did you use AA miles for an AAdvantage award on AA, but think for some reason such as OSO / IROPS AA will endorse your ticket to AS and put you on their flight? That could happen, but if your baggage is already checked in you’re clear. If they do so but you’ve not checked bags yet you’d have to check in with AS and they’d charge you in accordance with their rules, as the operating airline, AFAIK. Again, your ticket has labguage, but endorsing it over to AS might change to requiring a fee.