FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is Aman building in Kyoto
View Single Post
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:29 am
FlyerEC

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by scented
I can be critical of the 'new' Aman but...

1) Why not Kerry Hill? He is one of the few out there who pioneered LOCAL architecture and celebrated local building codes, craftsmanship and choices of material.
2) Who wants night life? I certainly don't.
3) I agree, this remains to be seen.
4) I think we have enough of these, don't you think? I am looking forward to the twist that the property brings to the scene. Both R-C and FS are very successful in Kyoto, but a totally different type of property. FS have been very open about trying to be market leader and aiming to raise the ADR in Kyoto over the next years and the Aman project certainly might help with it.

I have waited a long time for Kyoto and am curious how it turns out. Certainly gets me more excited than New York or more typical "cities" he is trying to do.
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
1) He's designed the other two Japanese Amans, and many other Amans - why Kerry Hill in Bali? There's already Hoshinoya, and a slew of actual local ryokans/inns. This brings a nice balance. From the photos at least, I find the Suiran and Four Seasons Kyoto (most rooms, though I do admit they have some themed rooms) far too cookie cutter/contemporary, and the Ritz Kyoto as a whole is actually a luxury international hotel in Kyoto with somee elements of Japanese architecture/design. This is taking it one step further - I'd probably liken it to Amanfayun, but of course it isn't built in a 200-odd year old village with remnants of the old structures.
2) I don't think most people are going to Aman or Kyoto (on this forum) for its nightlife
3) Remains to be seen
4) Remains to be soon

It's an old Zecha/Kerry Hill project so let's see.
Originally Posted by BESVISOR
There's only one way to know for sure...so I will go!!!
+1
Will go to !
Hoping no delays so will potentially run the gauntlet during RWC - what a decision at start of the Year of the Pig !
Blessed Lunar New Year

Waiting to hear from HQ LON & ..