FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:13 pm
joe_miami
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by physics
Well, as predicted, I didn't get much out of Chase on the phone. At best, I got told (as expected), "a letter is coming", at worst bounced from one dept. to another to a supervisor and being told nothing, to one rep who said she couldn't see anything in my account. So I guess I wait for the letter.

I guess I'm here to say if it can happen to me, it can happen to anyone (who's trying at all).

No shady stuff with UR (I've been saving up and haven't even redeemed any for a couple years).
I've been a Chase customer for a very long time (off & on for prob. 25 years). How long have they been issuing United cards?
Never deposited a MO to a Chase acct.
Never cycled a CL.
No Chase mortgage.
Never used WM Bill pay.
High FICO score, always paid Chase (& others) on time in full.
Last Chase card was over 8 mo. ago. 6 open. I think 6 since then from other banks. About 18/24, and have been over 5/24 continuously for a few years.
That's high compared to the general public, but not outrageous for here.

For the more cynical among us, I did recently cross 500k UR across personal and business. (Again, I've been saving up for a redemption.) Maybe high balances do prompt a review?

I did max out the 5x category on a Cash for 2018, but that was done by Nov, so I don't think that's it. They never seemed to care, and, I think they do not, by itself.

I think what did me in was letting my CSP (my highest CL card with them) post with about 60% of its limit 6 months in a row.(paid in full each month). I mean, they were fine with it for a couple months, so I figured I was good to go. But apparently something made someone look at my account and they didn't like what they saw.

I do have multiple checking accounts and have used more than one of them to pay off Chase cards, It's possible that's what triggered a review.

That's about all I want to say for now until I get my letter. Maybe I can post more in a couple weeks.

I'm still sort of surprised to be the first shutdown report here or reddit for many months. I guess my number was up. They are still looking!
There’s no way Chase closed your accounts because you used 60% of your credit limit and then paid it off.