Old Feb 4, 19, 11:06 am
ratypus

Programs: BAEC Gold
Late 30s - I only discovered BAEC about 6 years ago. I was a fairly regular flyer before that (mostly leisure and in Y), but not part of any FFP at all and would shop around - in fact, I used to have a self-imposed policy of flying the airline of the 'destination' country for some variety: so always LH to Germany, a US airline to the US etc.

I signed up to BAEC because of the BA Amex about 6 years ago; initially wasn't collecting much in the way of TPs or Avios and was mainly using the scheme for redemptions (my first Club World trip, on an Amex 2-4-1). Then I got a promotion followed by a change of job (and another promotion) and started racking up more business travel. I went from Blue to Gold in one year and have stayed there ever since - admittedly with one year of "paternity extension"

I've never taken a flight I didn't need to (no TP runs here; barely even any 'optimised' travel: I'd rather fly direct if I can...). And I don't pay cash for premium travel for personal travel - in fact, most personal travel is on award flights.

Taking all of that into account, I'm ticking over 1,500-2,000 TPs a year and about 9k Lifetime TPs - nothing compared to some on here, but I do a little more flying than TPs would suggest (leisure, and with other airlines)

BAEC has worked well for me, I guess - I feel I get good benefits from it given the amount I actually have to travel for work....although on a cost-benefits basis the weighting is probably in BA's favour as my tickets are normally late-booked Club World and consequently pricey (for the office to pay...)