FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton Dublin Airport {IRL}
View Single Post
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:31 am
HarryHolden68

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
After a recent 2 night stay, I thought I would update this thread.

The transfer bus runs every 45 minutes. There is somewhere under cover to wait, but as a bus stop type shelter, it is not heated. Expect to get wet if it is raining. The bus was on time and a brief scan of my digital Diamond card was sufficient for a free journey. This was on a 15 seat mini bus with one other passenger. The transfer took less than 15 minutes, although again, if it is raining, you will get wet getting into the hotel.

Check in was fast and while mention of my Diamond status was referenced, nothing was offered proactively. Having not received an upgrade, I asked what the hotel policy was. I was told the hotel was full. I showed that all room types were still available for sale on both nights and was told that the rooms were not available to them. I asked if they ever upgrade people and was met with a wry smile. I was told breakfast was complimentary in the restaurant. They no longer issue bar vouchers as a substitute for not having an executive lounge. This is counter productive because with a 10 minute walk there is a diner and large Tesco. I did not eat in the hotel in the evenings, which had I been drawn in with a voucher, I probably would have stayed. The prices seemed reasonable. 12 Euros for a pizza. 16 for a burger.

The room was fine and the bed comfortable. But absolutely nothing special. The curtains were heavy duty with blackouts but came away at each end to allow light around the side. The furniture was cheap looking wood and showing its age with scars. The heating kept the room acceptable at 20 degrees, but would not raise it to the set point of 23.Two bottles of water were already in the room. The bathroom was clean but the water pressure in the sinks / showers was woeful.

Underground parking was a bonus in the sub-zero temperatures at reasonable for an airport hotel at Euro 7.5 per night for residents. All the staff were friendly.

I feel that the management do take advantage of the benefits of having the Hilton Brand bringing guests in but they do not recognise those guests when they get there. Justifying this with "occupancy is high" is self-defeating as eventually their reputation will catch up with them. Given the lack of status benefits and the lack of an Executive lounge, I will go back to the Crowne Plaza next time I need a hotel here.