View Single Post
Old Feb 4, 19, 6:35 am
BA707

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by squawk View Post
Sorry to bump this up again (and mods, if this should be elsewhere, please do move it - I bring it up here as I suspect it's the kind of thing which comes up often in a TP-run). As @Wozza2404 notes, my inbound (DCA-MIA) will indeed be AA metal, and the ARN-MIA ticket as whole is AA-ticketed.

I'd appreciate any insight on this - what conditions need to be fulfilled for AA to protect this 'connection'? Is it just a case of throwing myself at the mercy of whichcever AA agent I encounter, if it all goes wrong, or are there things I can do to maximise the likelihood that if I miss the 17:40 I'm re-booked?

As many other threads/tidbits of information on this forum have shown before, forewarned is forearmed!

Sorry for the amateur questions - as I type this, I realise I've never actually flown AA before. Always been BA in/out of the states, and ground transport in between!
This wiki should help ease your concerns:
​​​​https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1283424-aa-protection-oso-irops-irrops-misconnect-separate-aa-oneworld-tickets.html

It links to an AA published advisory to travel agents here
https://www.aasaleslink.com/en-US/documents/Archives/AgencyRef/Booking_Index.pdf#page12

Contained within is this excerpt which is what you're looking for
​AA to/from AA or a oneworldŽ Carrier
If a customer is holding separate tickets on AA or another oneworld carrier, customers holding separate
tickets where travel is on oneworld airlines should be treated as through ticketed customers. In the event
of a disruption on the originating ticket, the carrier responsible for the disruption will be required to reroute
the customer to their final destination. The ticket stock of the second ticket must be of a oneworld carrier,
eligible under the Endorsement Waiver Agreement. You may contact AA Reservations 1-800-433-7300
(U.S. and Canada) or outside the U.S. and Canada, reference Worldwide Reservations Numbers for
additional information if the separate ticket is for travel on a oneworld carrier.
As your (potentially delayed) inbound is operated by AA and you're connecting to ​​​​​​an AA operated (and presumably AA 001 ticket), you should be protected as MCT has been met.

After clearing customs in MIA, you need to make a left and proceed through security again for connecting flights. If you do get delayed, there is a large rebooking desk on the right of security. Alternatively you can proceed through security where there are rebooking centres airside. If you have lounge access, staff there can help with rebooking and there's likely to be no/ a short queue.

You could book the later flight and if you don't get delayed, ask to be moved for the earlier flight at the gate or in the lounge. If the 17:40 is full, you could spend a few hours in the Gate D30 Flagship lounge which is very nice (assuming you have sapphire/emerald).

AA are notoriously bad terrible with advance scheduling anything more than 3 months out. Given your travel is in August, don't be surprised if your MIA-LAS timing gets changed.