FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Oxford, Mississippi
Old Feb 3, 2019, 5:15 pm
hockeyinsider
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I did two nights at the Courtyard in Oxford.

Very good staff. They always addressed me by name. Very warm and hospitable. The property has a great location within walking distance of both the University of Mississippi campus and Oxford's downtown, including restaurants and bars. Best of all, it has a complimentary shuttle to anywhere within the city limits. Kind of an odd hotel because in addition to the typical Courtyard bistro there is a third-party rooftop bar and restaurant with food served only at dinner. Prices at both outlets were about the same, but as you can imagine the food is a little better upstairs -- not gourmet, but decent. Great rooftop views.

I was recognized as a platinum premier, not an ambassador. I was upgraded to an unusual bi-level suite with 1 1/2 bathrooms, a huge walk-in shower and a private balcony that would be great for sunbathing on warm, sunny days. If you had limited mobility, however, the stairs taking you to the bedroom could be dangerous. The lighting in the room was horrible, as with most hotels. Too many switches, very yellow-ish and not bright enough. I did get feather pillows, but no extra feather pillows and no extra towels.

Besides the usual $10 coupons, which only cover the cost of a cold breakfast without coffee, I was told because of my status I was receiving two free drink vouchers for the rooftop bar and restaurant. This could be used for any beer or white sold by the glass.

Otherwise, this was a pretty typical Courtyard. My only real complaint was the fair amount of wear-and-tear. Apparently, this is the official hotel for visiting sports teams so it probably gets a lot of use during the college sports season. Still, I was surprised for a relatively new (maybe 3-4 years?) hotel to see bubbling and cracked wallpaper, scratched and stained furniture, paint bubbling and ceiling damage (water damage?) above the shower and others signs of neglectful maintenance. That's too bad because the product is modern and otherwise attractive.