FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hidden City Ticketing + Award Flight Question
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:27 pm
newflyer27

Programs: FB Platinum, All Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by lamorindaflyer
Long time lurker I was hoping to get some help from all of you...

I booked a one-way, 1-stop award flight to BIO via AF with a layover in CDG, with the intention of planning the trip and waiting for a good deal on a return award flight before booking that one. But in the course of talking things over with my wife, we decided we actually preferred to just visit CDG instead (ok, so she changed her mind ).

I looked up award flights for that day direct to CDG and they are substantially more expensive, so I figured we would need to pick a different (but less optimal day). But we figured we would call AF to see if there was some way we could just remove the last segment on the flight. To our surprise, the agent told us that we could just not get on the next flight.

So, two questions:
  1. Is AF ok with hidden city ticketing? I was always under the impression that this was frowned upon, even if they let you get away with it a few times. It surprised me that an agent would proactively suggest it.
  2. If we have our return flight with AF as well and under the same AF account, but on a separate itinerary / ticket, would skipping the CDG-BIO segment on the departure flight cause AF to cancel our return flight? Or would that only happen if they were on the same itinerary?
Very curious to see what all of you have to say – thanks!
there are numerous threads about "hidden city", better to post in an existing thread.

I am not sure about the first question, but I am surprised by the agent suggesting it. I have myself just bought a similar ticket (in purpose!). the award cost me 29K while the award I wanted was 77K (surprisingly, the latter it is not available anymore after I bought although it is one year from now). From what I have read on other threads, it seems ok to "throw" the last leg as long as it is not a habit.

For the 2nd question. your return ticket will not be affected as it is on a different PNR. you should not worry about that IMOO.