FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What's your earliest Opup?
View Single Post
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:17 pm
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I've had a few upgrades a few days before departure, when I can see that a flight is so overbooked that seat selection becomes impossible for everyone beyond pre-selected seats. If you are new to BAEC accumulation then occasionally there are reports of people getting an email telling them they have had a complimentary upgrade months before departure, though my suspicion is that again BA will know that it will have a sellout anyway. Most of my upgrades are in the final 24 hours, and most of those are in the final hour after check-in has closed and BA can see what the no-show situation is looking like. My latest in terms of timing was after I boarded and was comfortable in my CW seat, when someone came up, initially looking pleased that they had an upgrade and then alarmed that someone was in their seat. "Ah hang on", I said, did a quick refresh of my app to see 1A. "Oops looks like I got the wrong seat, my apologies...."

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Feb 3, 2019 at 4:09 pm