FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Miles and More Forum Biergarten Thread — Everybody is Welcome
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:23 am
beachmouse

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
To save those Googling fingers .... VPS is Destin-Fort Walton Beach Airport, in Florida. Known to many as Eglin Air Force Base, which is where it is. The code comes from the neighbouring city of Valparaiso.
Also known as Okaloosa Regional Airport, Northwest Florida Regional Airport, Fort Walton Beach Airport and a few other names due to a county aviation board that keeps changing the name of the airport for marketing purposes. I think I am at six or seven different airport names on my boarding passes over the years. But because it is a small and unimportant airport, the airlines don’t update their ticket systems in a timely manner and the current airport name tends not to reflect the airport name actually on your ticket. So to prevent confusion, not only do the locals just call it VPS but the airport itself has run ‘Fly VPS’ tv and radio advertising campaigns.

(The new terminal did eventually get built and remains as mold and mildew- free as you can get in Florida)