FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Overnight stop in HKG on way to/from Thailand
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:47 am
FlyerfromORD

Thanks, christep for the correction. I edited my original post as I thought it was too much info that the OP didn't need and ended up with the wrong taxi color listed.

OP, the taxis in Hong Kong are 3 different colors depending on where they operate. You are most likely to encounter the red taxis which you'll find at the airport, on Hong Kong Island and Kowloon. The blue taxis operate on Lantau Island. If you want a taxi from an airport hotel to Big Buddha on Lantau, you will indeed need a blue taxi as Christep has corrected. Most likely, there will only be red taxis waiting at your hotel, but the hotel can call a blue taxi - last time I needed one from Novotel Citygate (which is on Lantau) it arrived in about 3 minutes. This was early in the morning, taking me to Big Buddha just as I suggested as a possible per-departure exploration.

In any case, it is not confusing. If you catch a cab at the airport, there are several lines for taxis depending on your destination. Also, there's a live information person who can help you out determining which taxi queue you need. If you end up in the wrong line, you will be directed correctly. Similarly, if a taxi can't take you where you want to go, they will tell you what color you need.