FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Overnight stop in HKG on way to/from Thailand
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:39 pm
FlyerfromORD

Hong Kong is very small with very good public transport and easy-to-access cabs. It's not necessary to stay on Hong Kong Island or Kowloon to have an easy sightseeing experience. If it was me (noting that it's not me and my priorities are not necessarily yours!), I would book an airport hotel for your outbound first stop to make the departure the next morning easier. (I stay at the Citygate Novotel frequently. Good property, free shuttle from airport to hotel, follow the well marked directions to the bus bays at HKG, hotel shuttles leave from there. There is a Mariott also at the airport with shuttle. I've not stayed at the Regal.) After checking in, take a taxi to Victoria Peak, have a look around, take the tram or bus or taxi down, head to Star Ferry at Central, cross the harbor, have a walk over to Temple Street Night Market or walk thru some of Kowloon. HK is very safe; normal city street smarts will be sufficient. Dinner somewhere that strikes your fancy. When ready to return to the hotel, MTR Airport Express or taxi.

On return, if you get up early from an airport hotel, take a taxi (you will have to ask the hotel to call a red taxi for you) to the Big Buddha on Lantau Island (island by airport). You can see the Buddha and Po Lin Monasterary before the Ngong Ping Cable Car opens at 10 AM. Return on the cable car, taxi to your hotel (or walk if you stay at Citygate), pick up luggage and shuttle to airport.

Enjoy HK - easy city to navigate. If in doubt about your ability to communicate with taxi drivers (some are mainland Chinese and don't have the English that others do), carry a picture of your destination, google translate the address, carry hotel business cards. I've done that in Bangkok and Chiang Mai also with great success. Enjoy!!