FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:01 pm
louie-m

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by jgoggan
So, just as a data point. My last real activity was April 7, 2017, so I was worried about my points expiring. A week ago, I did some quick shopping through the Mall, but was afraid that they wouldn't post in time (they are pending, but it has only been a week). So, I called and explained the situation to see what I needed to do to keep them from expiring. She told me that I didn't have to worry about it because I just had activity on my account on March 21, 2018 that would extent it for another year. So, on March 21, I had transferred 1000 points (for free) to my wife's account. I said that I didn't think that a points transfer would could as activity to extend my expiration and she said that they absolutely did, so I didn't need to worry about it.

Just to be extra safe, I called back and simply asked when my current points would expire (without any of the other details), they said that it would indeed expire on April 7, 2018 -- and that the points transfer to my wife did not count as activity.

I then explained the situation to them -- that I had called earlier and was told the opposite. She said that she would double-check and put me on hold for quite a while. When she returned, she said that OUTGOING points do not reset your expiration, so my points would still expire on April 7th, 2018. So, I then asked the obvious question: "So, you're saying that if my wife sends me 1000 points, then that would be incoming and WOULD extend my expiration date?" She said that it would.

I'm going to transfer some from my wife to me -- and then call back tomorrow and see if I get the same answer or yet a third different answer playing CSR Roulette! I'll post here and follow up after...
Did you ever get a definitive answer to this? I transferred points to my husband a couple of months ago, which show as a points.com transfer. His last activity other than that was 3 February 2018. He initiated a transfer from Amex MR (UK) earlier in the week just in case but no sign of them so far. Am I worrying for nothing?