FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Italy logistics/accomodation with a 4-year old and luggage
Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:58 pm
VitaliU

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AY Plat
Originally Posted by Ryu2
I have a 1 month paid sabbatical and we plan to spend part of it in Italy. This is our first time visiting there, and we plan to spend around 2 weeks there (hope to hit Rome, Florence/Tuscany area, maybe Amalfi Coast).

My wife and I are seasoned travellers (before we had kids) -- mostly around Asia, and our son has been to Singapore/Mexico/around the USA, but we expect Europe will be crowded w/ more walking.

We're right now looking at 3 large checked bags, and a carry-on. Is this a crazy idea? Will taking the train be impossible? Alternatively has anyone tried it with a rental car to drive between cities or use a private tour/driver?

Also -- any accommodation recs? We have a huge stash of Marriott points so are partial to their hotels/resorts. But authentic local accommodations like agriturismi in Tuscany would be cool as well, as long as they're toddler friendly.

Thanks in advance!
I think you are much better off renting a house/apartment for the whole 2 weeks in ONE place and taking day trips from there using trains. What you describe in your original post is closer to torture than an enjoyable way of exploring Italy.