FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is Delta really different?
View Single Post
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:55 pm
FlytheTail

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
I've flown 1.9 million miles on Delta but only about 5% of that in the last 5 years. Since then, I've been 1K on UA and/or Platinum Executive on AA. I left Delta because of their increasingly inferior awards/elite program. And I'm sad to see the awards program continue to deteriorate as the value of my miles continues to erode.

Yesterday, I took an outstanding DL flight from SFO to DTW that surprisingly only had about 50% occupancy. The service was extraordinary -- two full beverage services plus additional runs of coffee and water. Great crew, didn't charge for my G&T; clean plane; and good IFE. But then I had a frustrating experience with my connecting jungle-jet flight, which was delayed 90 minutes because of a fuel problem. It was handled poorly: no communication, rolling delays, etc. It seems like these contrasting experiences are common for all three major carriers.

Ultimately, I really like United's FF program - they have great partners with very good award redemption values; generous systemwide upgrades; transparent upgrade inventory and ability to redeem upgrades online, etc. Despite UA's IT faults, customers are empowered to do the most with their reservations. However, if the awards/elite program was the same among all three carriers, I'd probably go back to Delta. Fewer bad eggs in the basket.

Glad the OP has had such good experiences with an airline, regardless of which one it is. They have taken a lot of the fun out of flying, so it's refreshing to hear of these positive reports.