FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2017 onwards - Consolidated "Standby for HA Inter-island flights?" thread
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:27 pm
jimmc66

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Mary2e
The policy really doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Those flights operate more like bus service between the islands.

It would be good business to get people out of the terminal and on to their destinations as soon as they can in the event of irrops or weather. I often give myself a few hours if I need to go interisland from the mainland and end up sitting in the terminal waiting for at least an hour when flights are leaving that aren't necessarily full.
I agree. Most airlines are happy to move a passenger early if they have the space. You never know what's going to go wrong later. I recently had three hours between UA from Narita to HA and KOA. I asked to be changed and was charged a change fee. While waiting at the gate for the new flight, an announcement was made asking later passengers to step forward if they wanted to go early, for free. HA is a horrible airline IMHO. I'll be happy to see Southwest get here and give them some real competition.