FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian announces IAH via Lome, cuts LAX
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:30 pm
StartinSanDiego
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by dvs7310
That may be the issue, if its a partner award ticket then ET isn't really the one responsible for rebooking you, the issuing carrier is supposed to do that and it's subject to award space on the alternate route. They might do it, but they are supposed to tell you to call the airline that issued the award. I've had this come up on cancelled routes before, last time was a UA award on OS. OS was willing to reroute me however I wanted, but UA wouldn't reissue the ticket because OS could only rebook me in a revenue fare class and OS wouldn't take control and reissue the ticket unless it was within 48 hours of departure.

What's your final destination? If it's served by LH then LH has very good availability within 2 weeks of departure but usually not earlier than that. Or if you're looking for a destination only served by ET then LH does serve ADD, should you not come up with another suitable routing.
Final destination is NBO. The first time the flight was cancelled (LAX to ADD was trimmed back to fewer days per week), ET rebooked me. It took a while to get through, then it essentially went smoothly although it was time consuming. The flights were confirmed on the phone and a confirmation email was sent. Being on one flight from LAX to ADD was a motivating factor to stick with an ET flight. That was a couple of months ago. I was trying the same thing again even though the routing isn't as compelling. This time, the ET rep from the USA number said I'd get a confirmation by email. We discussed some options on routing and I was put on several very long holds. She said she had to verify or confirm with a supervisor. She then confirmed my email and said I wouldn't need to call back, they'd email. That was yesterday morning and I haven't gotten any emails yet. When I looked for award availability to see possible options, it looks like the positioning flight will have to be on UA if I stay on ET.