FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Luxury hotel Websites: Critique & Vent
View Single Post
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:17 pm
MikeFromTokyo

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Airline Like Pricing Games at FS

many luxury hotel chains used to have ratecards. aman was last to remove. although marriott also removed it from some luxury starwood.
I do not like dynamic pricing at all. I understand it at upscale business hotels and four star resorts, but at truely high end hotels I feel rates should at least fluctuate less, if they do at all. At a certain point when one is paying a substantial room rate, having that substantially increase due to occupancy is off putting to guests. Similarly, at least in theory, it would be better to let fewer guests paying the same rate enjoy lower occupancy, than to have rates dynamically drop to fill those last empty rooms.

Fortunately, I have never has a situation in which an hotel has enforced dynamic pricing if I check out early, i.e. try to assess nights already stayed at the current, higher rate instead of what I reserved. It does trouble me that many hotel groups now reserve the right to do so under new policies. In order to protect against this, I actually do regularly truncate stays into separate, consecutive reservations. If I feel my arrival or departure date may change, sometimes I book such that I can cancel a night or two without touching the bulk of the hotel reservation. But, again this is something that a guest of a good hotel should never have to do.