FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The beginning of the end of travel rewards?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:59 am
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by strickerj
Prime is already losing its luster for me with the prices increasing and service declining (in particular the “Prime 2-day shipping” often being more than 2 days without explanation). If they stopped taking my credit card of choice, I’m canceling, and I think a lot of others will too. Accepting a variety of credit cards is necessary to be competitive; I can’t imagine they’d shoot themselves in the foot like that.
Prime as a service has been gradually eroding for us over time. It's a shame, because it had made us loyal customers of Amazon to the point where we hardly look at other retailers. Seems like it was an easy win-win relationship.

I'm not sure if a credit card limitation would cause me to leave. I'd try to get Amazon credit (gift cards, etc.) at a discount at first, but I would be hyperaware of a stealth price increase through a lack of rewards and any inability to recover that value would make me less loyal to Amazon. And frankly, just the act of making it less convenient increases the odds that I'll start looking elsewhere again.

It wouldn't be an instant cancel-the-service thing for me, but it would be a reminder that Amazon isn't the only game in town and that someone else might start running promotions and trying to capture my business. Target or even good ol' eBay would be back in the game, whereas they are not now - so long as my product is available on Prime.