FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - RTW in J: Cairo, Papua New Guinea, East Timor, Bali and Nepal
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:29 pm
swingaling

Programs: AA EXP
NAM Air Economy Class: Dili - Denpasar

NAM Air
Economy Class (Y)
SJ Economy Class Ticket
IN281: DIL-DPS (Dili to Denpasar)
21 January 2019
Boeing 737-500 (Two Class Configuration)
P2-NAJ
Seat 5F

Departure: 1:40PM actual (scheduled: who knows?)
Arrival: 2:20PM actual (scheduled: who knows?)

So this was a strange and very disconcerting flight. I'd booked this flight on Sriwijaya for a 2:30PM departure. I realize Sriwijaya and NAM are sister companies. Luckily, I turned up at the airport 2 hours in advance of departure. I checked in and was given a boarding pass that looked like a Walmart receipt. I barely glanced at the receipt and proceeded to the gate to wait for the plane to arrive.

Imagine my surprise when a NAM Air flight arrived and we started to board one hour prior to the original departure time. Whatever. I just wanted to get to Bali.

Our Plane

Ancient 737-500

Barley Mint. YUM?

Decent Legroom
Empty seat between me and this old guy

I get strapped in and then the cabin crew leads us in a prayer. A prayer that we'll have a safe flight and not die in a horrible plane crash. Seriously. Not the more reassuring way to start a flight.

Oh, and did I mention that the J cabin was blocked off? Right. J was filled with aircraft mechanics. Not getting a good feeling at this point. I was actually a bit nervous, and I'm NOT a nervous flyer at all.

Goodbye DIL

DIL Airport

Take-off was smooth. So the pilots must know what they're doing. I hope....

Hot Meal

Meal
The meal was pretty tasty. The dessert was weird and gelatinous, though. I still don't understand SE Asian desserts...

Approaching Bali

Getting Close

Circling in a holding pattern

Turn baby turn!

Final approach, please don't die

We finally landed without incident at DPS. Thankfully. It was a strange flight and I wasn't overly reassured by the presence of mechanics, though perhaps I should have been?

I don't know. The whole experience was a bit strange. I definitely won't be flying NAM Air again if I can help it, that's certain.