FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Still Welcome! 2018-2021
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:17 pm
BenA

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zitsky
How do people up north deal with it if they don't have all wheel drive or snow tires?
As someone who’s lived all over - the snow is also different in the South. It’s not just driving skill and snow removal equipment (although both are factors), it’s the proportion of ice and freezing rain to normal snow. In the north, the snowfall tends to be fluffier snow you can actually get traction on, while in the south the warmer temperatures tend to cause melting and refreezing cycles that turn everything into a slightly concealed ice skating rink for a few days until enough salt or sand is down.

All wheel drive is helpful but not a panacea. (Looking at you, Seattleite who thinks the Cascade Bicycle Club, 13.1 and KEXP stickers on your Subaru Outback are an impervious shield to all elements.). You have less chance of getting stuck in a rut, and more shots at finding traction, but if none of those little patches of rubber are finding solid ground and you’re driving like it’s a normal dry road, you’re gonna have a bad time.

Actually, a solid traction control system is as important as anything else. I’ll never forget the new drivers’ track day at BMW’s Spartanburg, SC plant my parents got for me when I turned 16; I was driving circles around the skid pad asking when the E46 330xi I was in would spin out, and the instructor chuckled and said “now”, flipping the ASC switch off and launching the car immediately and uncontrollably into the dirt. That was simulating rainy conditions, but the principle of micro-adjustments to throttle and brake is helpful in snow too.

Last edited by BenA; Jan 29, 2019 at 12:23 pm