FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Planning to join BAEC - upgrades?
View Single Post
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:25 am
rapidex

Originally Posted by watersign
Here's the deal: I was 1K with United for several years, then dropped to Gold for one year, currently nothing. This year I'm doing more travel, and thinking of joining BAEC as it makes sense for the routes I'll be taking. My current plans mean I would be Silver by May, and possibly Gold by the end of the year.
What I'm not seeing is anything in the BA literature about getting free upgrades as an elite. I really valued the 6 GU certs I got as a 1K. I also liked getting complimentary upgrades on domestic (though I didn't fly domestic US much).
According to the BA site, BAEC only offers 1!! upgrade coupon at 2500 tier points?? Is there some hidden upgrade perk I don't know about?
You will be given a Gold upgrade for 2 at 2500 tier points and 2 Gold upgrades for 1 at 3500. Thats it. European airlines do not give status upgrades like US carriers. If passengers need to be upgraded from an oversold cabin BA do not automatically upgrade elite members, but have a complicated algorthym for who gets the upgrade.