FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2019)
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:17 pm
Flying for Fun

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
The fare varied, and like today there were frequent sales. If I recall the base one way fare without discount was about $250.00 but there was always a lower fare with a bit of advance planning - which I always had enough time for. I also remember doing some mileage runs between Denver and Philadelphia where the base fare for roundtrip was $55.00. With taxes all in, my records show I paid $121.10. The reason it's relevant here is that it was an AA ticketed fare that routed DEN-SEA-ORD-PHL using Alaska codeshare flights DEN-SEA-ORD. I bought six of those tickets and always departed Denver on the 700am departure. I did a lot of mileage runs back then and most of the AA fares out of Denver allowed for a routing via SEA using the Alaska codeshare.

As for the food back then, I thought it was basic but okay. I prefer a hot meal (Back home I'm a cereal and yogurt guy, so it's nice to treat myself when I fly First Class) onboard airplanes, so I always opt for the egg dishes. As I recall however, there wasn't a choice on those short DEN-SEA flights.
Thank you. Awesome to get some figures from that era. My first flight ever on a Jet was a 737-100 from YVR-YLW in 1969. I believe it was CAD $39 for the 200 mile 35 minute flight. In present value that would be $266.84. Compare that to a transcon return flying 25 times the distance today.

James