FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Miscalculated diamond renewal
View Single Post
Old Jan 28, 2019, 3:13 pm
jerry a. laska
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by neo_781
I fully agree. There is nothing wrong with politely asking for an exception. It is up to Hilton to decide if they want to grant it. Hopefully someone will be able to chime in with a data point if they asked for something similar and if it was granted.
The OP has already called once they said no. Over the last 17 years or so of diamond, I missed once or twice (once with 29 stays) and each time was given a fast track/challenge back to diamond after asking nicely in April. II don't remember reading a report where someone had their diamond status renewed in January after failing to meet the requirements. Plus Hilton recently introduced the diamond extension to cover this situation but the OP doesn't want to waste it. Like some recent threads in the AA forum where a couple people complained of losing CK and EXP after not flying enough and moving all their business to another airline, this seems a little DYKWIA and the OP probably wrote it after he got off the phone and after he expected to receive some consideration. Nowadays though, airline and hotel programs aren't providing the exceptions they used to provide. It seems they are now only there to reward present flying and stay patterns (until one reaches a Lifetime status). I think FT members just get tired sometimes of reading posts where the poster says they are moving to another airline or hotel chain if they don't get what they want.

Sure they OP can call again, but based upon my own experience and from what I read here, I don't think Hilton will do anything until April and then it will be a fast track or challenge unless the OP can articulate some other method of communicating the value to Hilton by him remaining a diamond member without doing a fast track or challenge. But if the OP feels that he will be better served at Marriott then he should do that and not think that Hilton or Marriott owes him some sort of loyalty because that is not how these companies operate any more.
Just called and HH said I had 116k points (I always qualified thru points, not stays/nights). I asked if there's anything they could do as I am pretty loyal to Hilton and achieved 97% of the spend requirement. They offered the diamond extension (waste), and after being pushed, they said call back in March and they "should be able to do something" (as status continues until April, and somehow they can't do anything now).

Does anyone have experience of them extending status if close to the targets? Whilst I understand I did not meet their requirements, it would be nice to get *some* leeway given how close I was. I will cancel all planned stays and switch to Marriott if they don't help me on this as I will feel pretty p***ed off.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Jan 28, 2019 at 3:19 pm