FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Namibia travel tips route tourist attractions photo gallery [trip report]
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:25 am
johan rebel
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Michele De Acetis
That's why I expected the situation in Namibia to be more or less the same.
It's very different, take it from me.

Namibia is a former German colony. When not busy killing off 80% of the indigenous population, the colonial masters designed and built and excellent road and rail network, which had stood the test of time. Well over 100 years later, this network serves the country well, with only minor changes and upgrades.

Namibia is empty. There are almost twice as many people in the city of Dar es Salaam alone as there are in all of Namibia, even though the country is not much smaller than Tanzania. Outside of Windhoek there's hardly any traffic.

Namibia is fairly well administered. Very few people buy their driver's license at the fish market. You will see fewer unroadworthy vehicles in a month than you see in an hour is just about any other African country.

It's really just those kudus you have to watch out for. Seriously. Hitting one is no joke.

I've covered many thousands of kilometers in the country. Despite the sometimes very long distances, I find it a relaxing experience. Beats driving in just about any other country I can think of.

Johan