FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:42 am
cyster2007

Originally Posted by HarbourGent
As a regular paid CX flyer I was already unhappy that CX sold what were clearly mistake fares and honoured them on what seemed to be a large scale.
Now I find myself needing to push back the U.S. leg of a multi-carrier award ticket by just a few days. However, Marco Polo informs me that there is zero F availability HKG-JFK between now and mid-August (when the ticket expires). Being unable to change the U.S. flight date means that it will be a no-show and the subsequent sectors, for which I redeemed hundreds of thousands of miles, will be forfeited. The only solution Cathay offers is to waitlist which in my experience is unlikely to throw up a seat. So Cathay's decision to fill a large part of its F inventory with non-Cathay loyalists flying on what they mostly know to be a mistake fare turns out to be very damaging for the feeling about Cathay of a Hong Kong based near weekly Cathay passenger like myself.
how about business? I would take one leg business class instead of losing the rest of flight