FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Earliest check-in time at HKG and booking class questions
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:18 pm
ricktoronto

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
I guess my expectation was that having and AE ticket "just doesn't matter" since the one I tend to get is the one that has 3 (4?) days of unlimited use of the MTA system. Maybe that's why I've not been asked to add a fare to my card each time. Either I'm recycling it at the airport when I return or adding fare to it when my stay is beyond the FOC days to use the MTA within the 3 (4?) day period.
The AE ticket with 3+ days of MTR is a regular Octopus Card as well. Rather than recycle it why not add enough value before leaving so it will work on arrival (HK$100 or $110) on the next trip? Then during that trip add money to it for MTR and 7-11 use and such, and enough for the trip back from either HK or Kowloon station. Turing it back in seems non productive if you plan to return at all. Unless you travel a lot on the MTR the tourist pass costs more than the round trip on AE plus normal MTR use.

And MTA = 1960's Boston and current New York and MTR = Hong Kong.
The MTR Corporation was established in 1975 as the Mass Transit Railway Corporation