FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Update on BA flight simulators at LHR
View Single Post
Old Jan 26, 2019, 6:31 am
redeyedonkey

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire, Caesars Diamond
The logic of corporations can be totally backwards sometimes. Not only was this probably profitable (selling tours/private sim sessions etc) but anywhere it was advertised or things like this was organised it was like a free advertisement for BA. Instead now it's an ad for their cost cutting and short-sightedness (like the HK situation last year). From positive value and a free ad to more obvious insight into how they're going. These 'soft pushes' and increasing noise on the AA side signalling similar intentions (737-MAX new uncomfortable domestic first, being rolled out fleetwide etc) of the forum were what pushed me to lose Gold with BA and start trying out other airlines. I will not cut my nose off to spite my face, ofc, Club World is still good for family travel with the middle seats and sometimes being uncomfortable on AA on connections is cheaper by enough (thousands for the whole itin including BA flights) but I'm no longer loyal and Virgin/Delta will tend to pick up my flights all things being equal.

I think they're foolish to underestimate the impact of relentless news like this and little things which eventually add up to loyal fliers checking out someone else. With AA's recent profits showing the end game if BA pushes too far on the cuts side (1/4 the profits of Delta, less profit than Jet Blue... etc) I'm sure they'll convince themselves that their current profitability makes them immune but once the damage is done I don't think winning people back is ever easy so when the profitability turns it's already too late to address this kind of short sightedness.

With that said, of course, sad to hear the news for Andy personally, it sounds like those of you who were lucky enough to be able to make one of the sessions had a great time. I wish him all the best in the future and hope he ends up at Virgin.