FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DYKWIA | 2019 edition
View Single Post
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:13 am
citygourmande

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
One from last weekend, evening flight from LHR up to GLA.

Pre-boarding announcement made and we all dutifully traipse into our allocated group lanes, at which point nothing happens. Announcement made that boarding is going to be delayed, greeted with the expected general groans. It's clear that something is amiss, but the gate staff don't seem to have all the details. Shortly thereafter it is announced the inbound aircraft has a passenger with a medical issue and we can't board until an ambulance arrives to assist the passenger with disembarkation. Most people accept these things happen, and are probably grateful they are not the ones waiting on medical assistance.

Except for one middle aged lady who seems to take these turn of events as a personal affront. She constantly complains while we are waiting, and when in due course we land at GLA (only 30 mins behind schedule) by the time I've stood up in Row 1 as the belt sign goes off, she has already rushed passed me to collar the Purser and starts to grill him about the delay and the passenger. The Purser (who was excellent as an aside) was professionally non-committal in his responses, saying that he only knew as much as she did and that a female passenger had taken ill, and obviously they had to ensure she was OK.

At which point Mrs DYKWIA delivers her parting shot: "Well, I hope she realises how much inconvenience she's caused us all"
A few years ago (before I knew of FT otherwise I would have shared it then) I was waiting to board for LGW-RAK, the ground staff had arranged for a tour group to board before they announced boarding for priority/CE/ET etc. I started queuing with other priority/CE passengers on the assumption that boarding process will begin soon. Lady queuing behind me started moaning why this tour group was allowed to board before CE, ground staff simply responded that they were in a large group.

I don't know how this lady missed it because it was obvious that most of tour group were visually impaired and were accompanied by friends/carers who were assisting them. Lady continued to moan to me (or other people in the vicinity) so I just said "I think they just needed some assistance in boarding." Either she just didn't notice or she didn't care.

Mrs DYKWIA on your GLA flight definitely falls into the latter group.