FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Your guide to spending Avios | 2019 edition
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:57 am
KARFA
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by standbyalldtime
Just a quick question re: Avios+Money cancellation. If I book a ticket that say is 11000 avios + $120, plus $25 in taxes/fees, and I have to cancel it, with the $55 cancellation fee factored in, will I get a full refund of the 11000 avios + $120 and just forfeit the taxes/fees? Or would I only get $90 back since the full cash component is $145 altogether minus the $55 cx fee?
for reward bookings where you pay extra cash to reduce the avios you actually would get two credits back to your card, one is the taxesfees/charges which is $25 in this case, and the other for the extra cash, so $120.

It seems BA can only debit the $55 cancellation fee from the TFC amount and not the extra cash amount so I would expect you will not get any of the $25 back, but the difference will not be taken from the $120 and you should get that back. Avios will be refunded in full too.

this is all subject to you cancelling more than 24 hours before the first flight of course.