FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Timing on WOH Visa $5K spend 2 qualifying nights
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:10 am
joe_miami
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MarkOK
Some data above suggests that could be true, but I comnpletely find it surprising that Chase will parse out spending data between years on the Jan statement and backlog night credits to a previous year with Hyatt.

So, I investigated further. My rolling extra towards my next 5,000 dollars was at 3846.02 after my December 20th statement cycle. I spent 1345.28 before December 31st -- thus, I completed my 5K block in 2018. After Jan 1, I only spent another 1000 or so on the card - not enough to earn the 2 credits for 2019 that I got.

So, I stand by my data, and gut feeling, that Chase isn't in the business of parsing out statements and backlogging credit card spend.
But your gut feeling runs contrary to one or more reports above, including one person who spent over $30,000 between their Dec. and Jan. closing dates but only saw the 2019 spending post to 2019.

With Chase, spending that occurs within a few days of a closing date doesn’t always count for that statement for points purposes. That’s probably what explains your situation, since $200 in either direction would have been enough to put you over or under $5,000.

Chase has also been doing this exact thing for several years with its United cards, so there’s no new functionality required.