FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - American Airlines post-merger reflection... 6 years later?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:17 pm
MrAndy1369

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Question American Airlines post-merger reflection... 6 years later?

Was wondering for your reflections on AA 6 years since the merger was first announced, and about 3-4 years since pmAA and pmUS were completely merged. Do you view current AA as more of a glorified, bigger pmUS, more like a Greyhound of the skies, or more like pmAA, where premium ruled the roost? Or more of in-between?

As for me, I view AA as more of in-between. I do see some pmUS stinginess, but I also see some of pmAA's premium laser focus shine (although that's dulled considerably). Premium cabins is pretty much almost on par with pmAA now in terms of meals, although AAdvantage isn't as good as pmAA's was. I'd say it's overall a mix. Customer service is pretty bad, though, and there's an overall "blah" feel of the airline comprised as a whole, nothing really exciting or unique like pmAA was. However, pmUS had its own "feel" too, liked or not, and today's AA just kind of feels like the airline that survived a merger and is just maintaining the status quo without really being unique.

Thoughts?