FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Overnight stop in HKG on way to/from Thailand
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:43 pm
bswiz

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Overnight stop in HKG on way to/from Thailand

Hi all,

We will be travelling to Thailand in June and have an overnight in Hong Kong on both outbound and return. Looking for thoughts on hotels, or at least areas, that we could stay to allow us to get a quick overview of Hong Kong without having to be too far from the airport (for ease of transportation).

On the outbound, we arrive HKG at 4:10pm on a Thursday and depart HKG the next morning at 8:15am. I do have a free night (up to 35K points) at an SPG/Marriott property. Looks like a few options might be the Renaissance Harbourview or Mira Moon (Wan Chae area) or Courtyard (Sai Wan area). I should note that we put more value in a good, walkable location vs. fancier hotel. From what I can tell on Google Maps, the Courtyard might be in a slightly better area as far as exploring during our one night? We're open to paying cash for a hotel if it gets us in a better area than either of these choices - budget up to ~$150 if need be.

On the return, we arrive HKG at 10:45pm and leave the next day at 2:20pm. Here, I am leaning towards just staying on-airport at the Regal. I am not sure if it's realistic to do anything before a 2:20pm flight - maybe best just to sleep in and go straight to the airport. Thoughts?

Thanks!