FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - People who work in the hotel industry are so weird(IHG)
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:37 am
Vince Chan
Suspended

People who work in the hotel industry are so weird(IHG)

I was a regular flyer , traveler, just like everyone else here. I like to stay at nice independent hotel or luxury hotel sometimes , most of times I prefer elite member status and chain hotels which is reliable and high quality . I usually pick is Marriott some times Hilton or Hyatt.

I never work in the service industry before, I was in the manufacturing /sales industry.

I had an experience in working as sales for cooperate in one of HIX hotel in great china area. If you pm me I can tell you which one. Not in mainland , owner are developing an indigo, and it 's not going to be successful one.

I leave that hotel very soon for 3 months, I really hate that job. I 'm not going to be too detain for this part but I would like to share my observations:

I found those manager/supervisor who worked for a certain group in the hotel industry are so weird.

Fist, they claimed themself as a successful image . As my supervisor who worked in IHG, they like to judge , to mentioned about specific competitor , especially Marriott.

But they don't even hold ANY elite member status from any hotel group. They have very little experience as a guest in other hotel group. I, as an employee, having so much more hotel experience and even higher elite status....

They usually travel stay in IHG using the cheapest employee rate and staying at a standard room. When I quite my job, I really want to ask them, If I had, and I actually did, have a Marriott P, or Hyatt Globalist, which allowing me to CO on 4 pm ,suite UP, lounges, VIP experience, why should I using employee rate staying at a standard room in a not so luxury but calling themself luxury-intercontinental?

And they usually having WRONG information and knowledge for its competitor. For example, our director told me that W and JW Marriott are same type of style, I was like"..WHat...???"...seriously?

And she told me that Marriott and Starwood together is no good, they are having too many brands and are confusion, they are fighting each other in the same area.
But I want to tell her, " that's from your perspective as a hotel industry employee, from my perspective , who are always as a customer , I having so much more choice, in the past I can have only one choice to pick Marriott hotel in certain city, now I have so many more options after Starwood join in, why the hell do I care about whether they are fighting each other or not?"

So , perspective as a customer, and perspective as an employee , are so different.

What shocking me the most is that, my supersvisor in IHG, such as sales director, GM of this hotel. They have so LITTLE experience when it comes staying at upscale or luxury hotels, other than IHG hotels. They talked a lot , always like to mention Marriott or Hyatt, but never staying at a Ritz or Park. Not even familiar about difference between JW and W...lol

It is a bless to be a customer in this industry, instead of employee. They don't even have the experience of what if feels like to hold a high member status in those airline/ hotel group. But they work in this industry.

This is ironic to me. if you worked as a high position as supervisor in a fine restaurant , you should have lots of experience and knowledge when it comes to fine dining, right?

Last edited by Vince Chan; Jan 23, 2019 at 10:46 am