FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why do some Marriott hotels store guests' passport numbers?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:32 am
flyerCO
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by escape4
So let's say I visit country XYZ, upon check-in I hand over my driver's license and when they insist I must show my passport, I answer that I left it at a friend's house several hundred miles away in that same country. Can they refuse me a room just because I do not have my passport? I understand hotels and immigration might prefer to have my passport as ID, but I have never heard that it is an absolute necessity otherwise I cannot stay in the hotel. But I have never tested this - maybe I should.
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I'm pretty sure Chinese hotels won't/can't let you check in without a passport. I was on a group tour (my one and only time) years ago, and a family had a shoulder bag stolen with their passports and a load of cash (which they were taking to an orphanage where they had adopted their daughter from). The tour guides were trying to figure out how they were going to even be able to get them a hotel room until they got replacement passports.
It varies on the country. Some require it simply to rent a room. Some require it because they're required to register you with the police. Those that do it for the first, no way around generally. Those that do it for the latter, there's usually a time limit they have to register you. Thus they could at least check you in for the 1st night and than insist on it the following day. I believe Chinese hotels have 24-48 hours to register guests. (Note this can vary region to region in China) However since most do it electronically, at time of arrival, I would guess they may not have procedure to allow even one night stay without. Those that actually goto the local police station would be the more likely to wait till next day.