FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Years of status is available
View Single Post
Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:21 am
naumank

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Assimilated Cajun
"When" they adjust the lifetime years doesn't matter to me, except insofar as "whether" is also in doubt. The counter shows me at 8 lifetime Platinum years. By my calculation it should go up to 9 (because I achieved 25 stays at legacy Starwood properties in November 2018 and was told by SPG CS that I'd get an extra year of lifetime status but not until the January sweep) or 10 (because I also qualified in 2018 on nights under the legacy Marriott rules, and I am pretty sure -- but not certain -- that my current count does not include legacy Marriott qualification in 2018 for program year 2019). I have 600+ nights, so once my lifetime Platinum years go up to 10 I will have the freedom to stay at Marriott properties as and when I like. If the number turns out to be 9 then I'll have to pay attention to making sure I have 50 nights this year. And if, contrary to what I was promised, my lifetime years stay at 8, then I'll have to stay 50 nights this year and next year. Since I often schedule travel several months in advance, it has already been inconvenient and irritating to have to wait for the January sweep, and this will be compounded if it becomes the March sweep or the maybe-someday-or-maybe-not sweep. I don't know whether this makes me an obsessive Flyertalker, but my interest -- and I suspect that of many others -- is for practical reasons, not about status for its own sake.
Agreed. I also keep checking my LT year counter because I fear that the IT would somehow decrease that counter for reasons that I would never find out.

If Marriott's management is reading this thread, I implore them to resist the temptation to reduce the number of LT years for anyone (unless the member requests explicitly) after displaying the number for almost 6 months. In the U.S., if an item is marked incorrectly lower than the actual price, it is the convention that the store honors the lower price. It's not about fairness, but customer service.

Last edited by naumank; Jan 23, 2019 at 1:51 am