FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why do some Marriott hotels store guests' passport numbers?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:50 pm
bostontraveler

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by samwise6222
Pete is right. Most advanced economies, to my recollection, will take any sort of government photo ID unless there is a specific legal requirement to collect passports.

Australia - now that I think about it, I think I showed them my conceal carry license since that was the only thing I could find at that time.... not to mention they don't check your ID to board domestic flights....
Well I'm not sure what countries you travel to that are unique...I've been to pretty much every 'advanced' economy and it has definitely has not been my experience. North America, yes. But checking into an Asian or European hotel with a US Drivers license?

Fact is why would you present a foreign drivers license as a form of ID (if not American going to Canada v/v or Europeans in the EU)? That just seems odd. You are in a foreign country. You might get lucky but by no means is this common practice. Your only form of legal identification is a passport. If you are well-traveled you should know better.

Last edited by bostontraveler; Jan 22, 2019 at 4:58 pm