FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Would it be better to redeem now and change later?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:44 pm
stmadfish

Programs: United MileagePlus
Would it be better to redeem now and change later?

I checked the route FRA-JFK around the ideal date one month ago, and there are few J/F waitlist available. After I waitlist for those available dates, waitlist is no more an option.
But this week, I found SQ open a F saver 5 days before the ideal one, and another F saver 2 days after the ideal one. I can book the first one but not the second one due to visa issue. And they open some J/F waitlists around the ideal date except that best date. I have called for a chaser and they told me they will email me.

I have the following questions:
1. It looks like unlikely the waitlist on the best date will be cleared before Jan 24th. The SQ staff told me I can book the 5 days prior F saver and change it later, and what I have to pay is $25 to change. Is this true? Do I need to pay the 10,000 mileage difference?
2. If I book the 5 days prior F saver, there are not enough mileages to redeem for another one, will I still get cleared and email on the best date once it has availability?