FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please help me figure out how to book very expensive flight!
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:37 pm
Dillsnik

Please help me figure out how to book very expensive flight!

Not sure this is the most all encompassing place to post this question, but i figure can't hurt to see if anyone here has a helpful opinion what you would do.

I'm looking to book 2 RT tickets from EWR to MSY at very busy time late April for jazzfest. Our dates are set and we are very keen on only booking direct flights. \

To book the flights that work the absolute best for us it would cost $850 cash each ticket.

I could use miles and that would cost 62k miles per ticket.

I could also redeem chase UR points and using a reserve card that would redeem at 136,000 points for both flights.

I could also sign up for the amex platinum; i have a 100k offer pending for signup and could purchase on that card to earn towards my signup bonus and receive 5x points for the $1,700 ticket cost.

Any advice which way to go with this one? I'm not great at using my points effectively and even though using the points might not be best utilization of them does it just pay to use them since i have them as opposed to shelling out that much cash?