FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How would YOU improve T5 - radical ideas to reboot BA’s “home”
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:33 pm
citytom

Programs: EC Silver FC Silver
Originally Posted by RoyalSwazi
2. Speed up bag delivery. It’s shockingly slow compared to T2.
I will overlook some praise for T2 but not the luggage delivery/collection aspect! The baggage carousel belts are far too small for wide-body planes, at most half the size required for a dense 777. My last AC flight saw a previously empty belt full with 2 minutes, and a queue of bags that couldn't be released (including mine, 40 or bags back, at the start of the priority tags). It took 20 minutes for some fairly lacklustre airport staff to slowly start removing bags from the carousel and pile them up in the middle. Worse than Luton airport after Christmas - never again in either case!

As for improvements to T5, agree with key themes:
- Add more moving walkways to the passageways underneath the shuttle to B&C so people have an alternative to a long wait vs a longer walk
- Start again with lounges (really like the idea of Lufthansa FRA style F service)
- Get rid of two rubbish private lounges in favour of one decent sized one (don't let Aspire bid)
- Redesign the approach to gates A12, A16 and A17 so they aren't blocked by queues for other gates, resulting in even seasoned travellers standing in the priority line for the wrong flight (my shame)
- Add a warning message on the Lifts from Heathrow Express if the doors are obstructed - TFL has had this on every tube station since I can remember, yet every time I get in the Heathrow Express lift there is someone at the back (with a backpack) stopping the doors from closing, completely oblivious
- Position an angry member of staff on the Exit Side of the Heathrow Express Lifts to shout at anyone queue jumping by entering from that side (else I will keep doing it)