FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:19 am
bgriff

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by lsquare
I know the Platinum cards are the best to book directly with airlines due to the 5x accelerators, but I'm just wondering how many people are actually getting and keeping the Platinum just for that? I think the Gold is the better overall card as I do shopping at grocery stores and dining. Booking directly with airlines get me only 3x, but am I really losing much if I spend $2-$3k in airfare per year?

Also, just want to confirm that when AMEX meant booking directly with airlines, it means with any airlines in the world through their websites? What about using Expedia or Orbitz?

Thanks!
I doubt there are many people who got the Platinum card just for the 5x earning on airfare -- traditionally the Platinum card has been about the benefits, like airport lounge access and Marriott and Hilton elite status, and points-earning has been a secondary consideration (I've had the Platinum card for years and have almost never used it for spend until the 5x airfare bonus was introduced a couple of years ago). There are probably some super high spenders on airfare who may value that bonus category alone, but a lot of super high airfare business travelers have to book directly through their companies' travel agencies and don't get to use their credit card anyway.

So if you only spend $2-3K on airfare in a year I would agree that the 3x on the Gold card is a pretty good return. If you value the benefits of the Platinum card you could possibly make a case for that card based on the benefits alone, and/or including a consideration for earning a few thousand additional points per year on airfare spend.

As for earning the airfare bonus with either card, it is marketed as spend direct with airlines. Sometimes when booking through Expedia or Orbitz the charge does show up on your card as a billing direct from the airline anyway and would be eligible for earning the bonus points, but it's not guaranteed.