Old Jan 21, 19, 8:50 am
bgriff

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Data point on my stay as a Plat Premier (soon to be Titanium I guess) booking through Virtuoso: the hotel upgraded me to a harbour-facing Deluxe suite without any prompting from me, which was a very nice surprise. I think it was not truly the "Victoria Harbour suite" which looks like faces to the southeast, with the best view of much of the island and the TST/central Kowloon area, but we still had a nice southwest corner view with a full view of Central as well as the western part of the island and out toward the water and some of the islands to the west. The third picture on this page was the view we had, although that picture doesn't show the full view of Central if you looked over to the left from the angle they show.

Suite was not huge but then it is HKG. Small living room area with big desk, chair, and small day bed/couch thing. Nice bathroom including Japanese-style toilet. Lots of free bottles of water provided at each housekeeping service.

No club upgrade offered however -- I wasn't expecting it, just a data point. (Oddly the Marriott app did show my room type as being a club suite after I checked in, but probably just a glitch.)

Virtuoso benefits were honored as expected. Used the US$100 credit off a very good deep tissue massage in the spa. Restaurant breakfast was good but not outstanding by Asian 5-star hotel standards (quality was a little hit or miss on some items; both by quality and quantity the St. Regis BKK breakfast was much better). I would be happy with it if it were included for elites, which of course it isn't. If I stayed here again I probably wouldn't make a priority of getting breakfast included, if there were better value options without it. There is a Starbucks in the Elements mall downstairs where one could get a simple cheap breakfast, as well as some other options like Le Pain Quotidien and a Whole Foods/Waitrose-ish grocery store.

We were also offered coupons, I think because of Marriott elite status, for HK$250 off an 80-minute spa treatment and a free drink at Ozone. 2 of each coupon (1 per person). Spa coupon was stackable with Virtuoso credit since the former came off the bill at the time of service and the latter came off the room bill at check-out. Ozone free drinks were valid for any of their standard list of specialty cocktails which retail for HK$195, so a decent value; also valid for standard wines, beers, and soft drinks which are cheaper I believe. I had been to Ozone before but it's always worth a visit, and I was pleasantly surprised to discover that hotel guests (regardless of elite status) get some nice priority treatment there: priority entry access and access to reserved good seats along the windows.

One other little thing: I was very impressed to see that the hotel offers Apple AirPlay on the TV, which is a handy way to watch your own content on a bigger screen. Unfortunately it was only offered on the living room TV in our room, not the bedroom TV, and the living room is small without many terribly comfortable places to lounge, so it was of limited use. But I like the idea.

Overall glad to have stayed here and checked "highest hotel in the world" off my to-do list. Wouldn't necessarily make a priority to go back depending on the prices of other options, and especially given that breakfast would be included as an elite at the other HKG properties.