FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Recent datapoints for carry-on restriction strictness?
Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:07 pm
eeflyer

Originally Posted by jayer
My last couple of flights HA out of LIH the sizers have not been used. I was also flying midday on a less than full airplane.

Your implication your carry-on may be oversize concerns me. I've seen some clearly oversized bags passengers declared "close" being walked back off the airplane when it just would not fit the bin; and I've seen GA's, apparently on a quota system, declare compliant luggage, literally, a "quarter-inch over the limit". So I don't make it a practice to toss mine in the sizer just for curiosity and give GA's ideas. But it is definitely of generally acceptable size and no problem closing the door.
Thanks for sharing your experience! And with regards to your concern, I generally share the same as I've seen incredibly large bags on UA. That being said, my bag still fits the sizes for the length and width dimensions, meaning that it fits wheels-in in the bins. It's about an inch too thick depending on if the bag is stuffed. This means that it only takes up more space in the vertical dimension in the bin- space that would be otherwise unused as only a coat could fit in that space. I had no issues with GAs out of HNL, LIH, nor ITO this weekend.

Finally, even with all my concern about this, I was able to watch someone carry on a 28" samsung monitor box- way out of the restrictions. They had to put it horizontally and blocked space that could have fit three rollaboards